Westerfield was opened by the East Suffolk railway in 1859, but a few years later like the rest of the stations on the line, it was taken over by the Great Eastern Railway.
At this time the branch to Felixstowe was not here, but this was added in 1877.
Bay platforms were included for trains running to and from Felixstowe from the opening of the branch line. This continued until 1879, when most trains continued on towards Ipswich, the bays then being used for storage.
From the 1880’s, the station had sidings which served the Westerfield steam brewery, as well as a coal merchant. During the second world war, these would also be used for storing engines, including the Polish armour train.
After the war, they were used as stabling for the Pullman camping coaches during the winter, these being moved to Felixstowe for use during the summer months.
Unfortunately like most other stations, these sidings were closed un 1964, and the booking office closed soon after, the station becoming a “Pay-Train” station, where you bought your ticket from the guard on the train.
Modernisation of the track layout, including the addition of automatic barriers have taken place, and although not terribly busy with passengers, the line here sees much freight to and from the port, as well as the occasional nuclear flask train from Sizewell.
The original station building remains, although this is now a private residence.
As well as an electronic ticket machine, posters, bike rack and new style service information boards, the station has recently been enhanced with an extensive wildflower garden on platform one. Created by East Suffolk Lines Community Rail Partnership, Suffolk Butterfly Conservation Trust, Friends of the Earth and Greater Anglia, it certainly brightens up the station.
At time of writing, passenger traffic is provided by class 755 Bi-Mode units, with most of the passing freight hauled by class 66 locomotives.
A video is below, taken during a visit in 2021 :
Below is a link to the East Suffolk Lines Community Partnership :